Q: How much does a web site cost?
A: Each website designed by Web Ace Inc. is custom tailored to the business, so we don’t have a “cookie-cutter” answer to this question. Prices for web design can range anywhere from $399 for a 2-page brochure site and up into the thousands for a larger site or inclusion of e-commerce functionality.
There are many factors that determine the total cost of your website, including:
- number of pages and functionality required on each page
- extent of graphic and/or logo design required
- use of e-commerce
- website hosting
- website maintenance
- number of domain name registrations
Q: How much will it cost to talk to Web Ace Inc. about designing a website?
A: An initial consultation is free (up to 1 hours). After discussing your needs we are usually able to come up with a high-level estimate of charges. A detailed estimate and proposal can be drawn up after the detailed requirements have been discussed.
Q: How long will it take to have my site designed?
A: Each site is different. The amount of time it takes to complete depends on the size and complexity of the site, and the speed with which the client and Web Ace Inc move through the web design process
Q: What is a domain name and how do I register one?
A: It domain name looks like this: www.yourdomain.com
The www part (World Wide Web) is automatic. The middle part (yourdomain) is the unique name that we will register for your website. The last part (.com) is the domain suffix. Other possible suffixes are .org, .net, .biz, .ca, or .name. The .com suffix is by far the most popular. Some businesses like to register many permutations of their domain name…for example, if their website was at www.ourbiz.com, they might also register www.ourbiz.net and www.ourbiz.biz and have the secondary domains redirected to their primary .com site. The advantages of this are twofold: 1) it allows visitors to get to your site even if they make a mistake typing in the URL 2) it prevents another business or entity from registering a domain name similar to yours; this is especially important if the name would be desirable to a competitor.
Keep in mind that your domain name is more than just your address on the web. It is also a form of marketing in itself. The domain name should be easy to remember and reflect the personality of your business if at all possible.
Time is of the essence when it comes to registering a domain name. If you wait, somebody else might snatch it right out from under you.
To make it easier for you, Web Ace Inc. offers domain name registration services.
Q: How long does it take a newly registered domain name to be active?
A: It normally takes 24 to 48 hours for a new domain name to propagate.
Q:What if my business is located in another Province, State, or Country? Shouldn’t I use a local web design firm instead of Web Ace Inc.?
A: We can create websites for clients all over North America. Information can be exchanged via phone, email or fax no matter where the client is located. Operating out of a “virtual office” helps us keep costs and overhead down and pass the savings on to you.
Q:Does Web Ace Inc. have a referral program?
A: Yes. Our clients can receive discounts on their own monthly fees by referring new web design clients. Discounts will be given at the time of the new client’s site launch with Web Ace Inc.
Q: How do I set up my email accounts?
A: Here are the basic email client settings:
- POP3 & SMTP Mail Servers: mail.yourdomainname.com
- UserID: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: your password
To access mail using Webmail: http://www.webace.ca
When the login prompt comes up, enter your full email address as the user name and then your password.
To set up in Microsoft Outlook Express:
1. Open Outlook Express
2. Go to Tools / Accounts
3. Click Add / Mail…
4. Enter your name
5. Next enter your e-mail address
6. Select POP3 as the server type from the drop-down menu. The incoming mail server should be in the format “mail.yourdomainname.com”. The outgoing mail server should also be in the “mail.yourdomainname.com”. Click Next.
7. Enter your account name (same as your domain name), then enter your password. Click Next.
8. Click Finish.
Q: What is web hosting?
A: Hosting is storage of a website’s HTML documents, graphics, and other files on a web server. The files are made available on the World Wide Web for viewing by the public.
Q: How do I transfer my existing hosting account to a Web Ace Inc. hosting account?
A: Important: Do not discontinue service with your current host until your new account is set up (as guided below). Follow these steps to ensure zero downtime:
1) Do not change your nameservers yet and do not discontinue your current web host yet.
2) When you establish a hosting account with Web Ace Inc, you will be given all of your account information via an activation email. You will then be able to access your new account via the server IP address or by using the client Control Panel. Upload all of your web files to your new hosting account via FTP, File Manager in the Client Control Panel, or whatever your preferred method may be.
3) Go to your domain registrar and change your name servers to those that are mentioned in your activation email.
4) Within 24-72 hours, your site will be updated worldwide. Although you may be able to see your website on your new server within possibly 12 hours, please allow a complete 72 hour cycle before you discontinue your old host. This is necessary because it does take time for the change to propagate completely around the entire world wide web.